Important Message About Changes in Overdraft Fees

An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay it anyway.  We can cover your overdrafts in two different ways:

    1. We have standard overdraft practices that come with your account.
    2. We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a savings account or home equity line of credit, which may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices. To learn more, ask us about these plans.

This notice explains our standard overdraft practices.

What are the standard overdraft practices that come with my account?

We may authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:

  • Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
  • Automatic bill payments

Due to recent changes in legislation, after August 15, 2010 we will not authorize and pay overdrafts
for the following types of transactions unless you ask us to (see below):

  • ATM transactions
  • Non-recurring point of sale (POS) debit card transactions

We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction.
If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft created by your ATM/Debit Card, your transaction will be declined.

What fees will I be charged if Capstone Bank pays my overdraft?

Under our standard overdraft practices:

  • We will charge you a fee of up to $35.00 each time we pay an overdraft item.
  • Also, if your account is overdrawn for 3 or more consecutive days, we will charge an additional $2.00 per day.
  • There is no limit on the total fees we can charge you for overdrawing your account.

What if I want Capstone Bank to authorize and pay overdrafts on my ATM and everyday debit card transactions?

If you want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on ATM and everyday debit card transactions, call 205-469-2719, visit our website at, or complete and submit the form below. You can also opt-in by including the information below in a letter and presenting it at a branch or by mailing it to:

2301 University Blvd

Tuscaloosa, AL 35401

Opt-In Form